5/09/2011 / 14 Comments

DIY Sugar Scrub

The sugar scrub is my absolute favorite DIY body slougher. I actually prefer it to the salt scrub that I posted about before. I don't use it very often because of ants, but since it's gotten warmer we seem to be having less of a problem with them so I thought I'd whip up a batch!

You will need: Sugar (you can also use brown sugar), fresh lemon juice, honey and olive oil.

The sugar and lemon work together to dissolve dead skin cells, and the sugar granules help polish your skin. Lemon is also great for fading dark spots and brightening your skin. Honey is a natural humectant, which means that it attracts and retains moisture. And olive oil, well...olive oil is just pretty awesome for your skin in general! You can also substitute grapeseed oil, which is lighter, but also a great source of vitamin E.

Measure out your sugar. I used about two cups and poured it into my container (another Cool Whip one!) I've found that this scrub keeps really well, and it is gentle enough for me to use every day or every other day. This will probably last me a few weeks, but you may want to make a smaller batch to start out with.

Squeeze your lemons and pour the juice into the sugar. I like to mix in one tablespoon at a time, so I can watch the consistency. I think I used about 4-5 tablespoons of lemon.

When you have the consistency you want, add in one tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey.

The finished scrub! You can add more sugar if it is too runny for you.

How to use the scrub:

Massage onto skin in circular motions. I like to start with rougher areas like my knees and feet and let the scrub sit there while I work on the rest of my body.

Rinse off.

Make sure you rinse out your tub or shower because otherwise the people you live with will complain about ants!

Hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial, I know it's a bit late! Let me know if you try it out! :)

Related Posts

14 comments:

1. This is pretty neat!

I
    prefer natural scrubs to "store bought" ones because my skin is ridiculously sensitive and breaks out in rashes from anything!

2. I usually don't DIY because of the mess but I might try this sometime :D

3. prettyinthedesertMay 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Aww that sucks :( I've been trying to get into natural skin care because I am trying to limit the amount of 'chemicals' I put on my body. My body isn't so sensitive, but my face has been reacting to lots of stuff lately :(

4. prettyinthedesertMay 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Ooh you should totally try it! I usually just put down some old newspaper before I make anything. It makes the clean up SOOO much easier :)

ReplyDelete
  5. Did someone say scrub...my favourite word! I know you prefer sugar but can you use salt with this recipie? x

6. prettyinthedesertMay 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM

hehe :) I make my salt scrub with just salt and olive oil, but I'm sure it'll work well with everything else! Let me know if you try it with salt and how it turns out! :)

ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great, I love DIY beauty stuff! I've never tried a sugar scrub though, very tempted by this post!

ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so easy! I have been really into DIY stuff these days. I'm going to have to try this sugar scrub!

9. Great tutorial! I will defo have to give this a go sometime :) xx

10. prettyinthedesertMay 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

ooh let me know if you try it out! :)

11. prettyinthedesertMay 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

It's super easy and you can mix in pretty much anything you want! :)

12. prettyinthedesertMay 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Please do :) And let me know what you think of it! :)

ReplyDelete
  13.  Great mask idea!!!!! :) sounds easy and simple enough to do!!

14. prettyinthedesertMay 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM

haha it really is! I put a little on my lips to exfoliate them and it's yummy!

ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! :)

About

About
Hey! I'm Aseya, a 30-something makeup artist with a penchant for loud music, glitter, and cats!