8/07/2010 / No comments
Super cute (and super easy!) ways to wear your hair up - Part One
I've been wearing my hair up a lot this summer, not only does it keep my hair off of my neck but it also gives my hair a break from heat styling. Updos are also a great way to show off a pretty neckline or some cute earrings.
Here are some of my favorite casual updos and quick instructions. In the next part, I'll list some of the more 'formal' ones.
Nicole Richie's french braids
This is SUCH an easy way to wear your hair up, it's insane. I even wore my hair like this back when I'd first had it cut and it was too short to wear in a ponytail. The braids make it easier to grab hair so it's perfect for shorter hair (just use lots of bobby pins!)
1. Part your hair down the center, or wherever you normally part it.
2. Make a french braid on either side of your head
3. Join the braids in the middle, at the nape of your neck. If your hair is longer, you can make the updo a little more elegant by rolling the ends into a bun or tucking them under.
Jessica Biel's Polished Ponytail
God, I love this ponytail. So effortless yet so unbelievably sexy.
1. spray your hair with texturizing/volumizing spray or scrunch in some mousse (a little old school, but it works!) Try and focus on getting volume at the roots. I actually like applying these products to dry hair, but you can apply them to damp hair and blow dry with your head upside down for more volume.
2. Part your hair in the front, take some sections at the crown and gently tease. I'm not a big fan of crazy teasing, I like to push the comb down toward
s the root a couple of times and be done with it.
3. Once you have enough volume at the roots, pull your hair into a ponytail at the back of your head. Try to keep your ponytail level with your cheekbones to open up your face.
Vanessa Hudgen's Boho Side Braid
Another super easy one. I think it would look cute at night with a sparkly headband and a pretty maxidress.
1. Style your bangs as normal, or make a deep side part and
pin your hair to the side.
2. Slide on your headband, pushing back towards the crown to create a little volume.
3. Pull your hair to the side and, starting at your jawline, make a loose braid.
Kate Beckinsale's Bouncy Ponytail
Another cute ponytail. This one is playful yet polished. It would be perfect for a girlie brunch or a casual date, where you want to show off your pretty face. Try setting your hair in hot rollers for a few minutes and then brushing them out with a big brush. That will give you the big, bouncy curls in the ponytail.
1. Apply volumizing product to your hair (again, I like to use
mousse and work it into my roots)
2. Now would be the time to use your rollers if you want to.
3. Take the rollers out and section off a small section at the front of your hair. The width of the section should extend from the arch of one eyebrow to the next. Pin this section out of the way.
4. Pull the rest of your hair into a high ponytail in the back.
5. Undo the front section and gently backcomb.
6. Bring the front section to the back of your head and gently push it forward to create the 'pouf' in front and pin it in place.
Milla Jovovich's Awesome Updo
This one is so pretty, yet so incredibly easy! I actually blogged about this one last year, on my previous blog but it deserves another post!
1. Slide on your favorite headband. You may want to anchor it down with pins.
2. Roll the ends of your hair up towards the nape of your neck
3. Pin in the roll in place!
I hope you enjoyed this! Let me know if you decide to try any of them out and make sure you check out the next installment!
Love and kisses,